9.15.2006

Memory Lane

All of my cleaning has sent me on some serious trips down memory lane. It's amazing what I feel sentimental about and what I am over. When I was younger I kept everything. Everything had to mean something. Now that I am older, I realize that things (to a certain degree) are just things. While I am still not willing to part with everything from my youth, I did purge more then I though I could. Some things I can't believe I kept. I have to tell you that it feels refreshing and light to walk into a room and see some empty space in place of clutter and chaos. In some way it feels like taking out the physical trash makes it easier to deal with emotional baggage. Feng Shui baby! When I was younger I kept a scrapbook. Not a pretty, well layed out, color coordinated one. No this one was before I even knew what scrapbooking was. This was about capturing the bits and pieces of life. The stuff that I collected here and there and taping them in my book. I guess in some form or another I have been scrapbooking forever. It may seem silly to some but, to me it's nice to have that record of who I was at such a young age. I like knowing how much I have grown as a person and how I really haven't changed at all. Yes, I am rambling but, sometimes I think that it's a good thing. Thanks for putting up with it. I mean that is what a blog is for right. Although I have to admit that since I have been bloggin I have neglected my paper journal. Now in my world the cardinal rule of journaling is never cheat on a journal (don't start a new one before the old one is finished). I sure hope this doesn't count. LOL.

I invite you to spend a few minutes clearing out the clutter (if you have none then you get a gold star). I promise you will feel the difference~

5 comments:

Sofia said...

Hey, it's your blog. You can write about whatever is on your mind. No rules and I don't think it is "ceating". LOL :-)

Sounds like you and I are a lot alike when it comes to being sentimental. I didn't keep a scrapbook, but I have collected a lot of mementos (sp?) though the years. A couple of years ago I purged a lot of my childhood things and now I have what is left down to one box. Some things I will never let go.

Maureen said...

How true, how true! A few weeks ago we really purged a lot of Heather's old toys; she is 15 now, and it is still hard to give away or sell those old plush friends. So we took pictures of each and every one of them; last weekend we sold many (she made $ 80) and the rest are going to Goodwill. Not only is is great to have some space to build a nice room for her to hang with her friends in, but the feeling you get when you see a little girl hugging her "new" toy (that mom just bought from you) is just great.

Unknown said...

You are not alone. I too kept everything! I mean I literally have some of my grade school graded papers.....lol

Dana

Kimberly said...

You go girl. Free up some space. It can be really good for the soul to go through stuff and get rid of some...remember others...

gloria said...

Oh momma, I have clutter.
I am starting in my Scrap supplies!!
But you hit the nail on the head with this statement:

"In some way it feels like taking out the physical trash makes it easier to deal with emotional baggage."

You're so right.

{sidenote-I'm making my post a page, so you need to hop on board and make one, too!! Tell us why you aren't perfect!!}

<3